From: Paul Hartman <paul.hartman+gentoo@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] modem problem : Speedstream vs Zoom
Date: Thu, 16 Dec 2010 23:28:20
1 On Thu, Dec 16, 2010 at 4:27 PM, Philip Webb <purslow@××××××××.net> wrote:
2 > I've run into a bizarre problem with broadband & modems.
3
4 > Both Mandriva & my Gentoo use Kernel 2.6.33 & I've recompiled the kernel
5 > to include all the various PPP-related drivers Mandriva compiles as modules
6 > (I have them as part of the actual kernel via 'Y', not as modules);
7 > I've also recompiled Gentoo pkgs 'ppp baselayout sysvinit';
8 > I've also tried copying options from Mandriva files in  /etc/ppp/
9 > to similar files in Gentoo, though they use the older Rp-pppoe approach.
10 > Still the same line in 'daemon.log' : "timeout waiting for PADO packets,
11 > unable to complete PPPoE discovery".
12
13 If it's a modem+router combo, do you need to worry about PPPoE at all
14 on your computer anymore? I think typically the router would take care
15 of that for you, and all your PC does is get a DHCP address (NAT) from
16 the router and is done with it, at least that's how all the ones I've
17 seen behave (unless you've intentially disabled the router part and
18 are using your PC as the router or are going routerless). Just
19 throwing it out there. :)