From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: This nite's switch to "full multilib"
Date: Thu, 02 Apr 2015 16:24:17
1 On Thu, Apr 2, 2015 at 11:37 AM, Grant Edwards
2 <grant.b.edwards@×××××.com> wrote:
3 >
4 > I prefer it this way. I do not want all the nice easy-to read/edit
5 > configuration stuff in /etc/portage encrypted some Windows Registry
6 > break-alike.
7
8 Nobody is proposing any changes to the format of package.use.
9
10 The only proposal is that users shouldn't HAVE to specify every
11 individual package use flag there if they just want the defaults.
12
13 You do realize that this is EXACTLY how portage already behaves for
14 installed packages, right? Portage keeps track of what is installed,
15 and it doesn't go into the nice easy-to read/edit
16 /var/lib/portage/world file. You tell portage what you want, and
17 portage gives it to you. That is all that is being suggested here.
18 If you want libxml2 built with USE=icu, go ahead and put that in
19 /etc/portage/package.use. If you don't know what libxml2 is, or what
20 icu is, then don't do anything and portage will install libxml2 with
21 USE=icu if it needs to.
22
23 The alternative is what I have now - a 1200 line package.keywords file
24 that tells portage to build half the system 32-bit, when I could care
25 less about all that stuff being 32-bit once I uninstall whatever
26 package is making it that way, but portage will continue to build it
27 all 32-bit because there is no in-between.
30 Rich