From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Updating portage cache - slow, slower, slowest ever
Date: Tue, 11 Oct 2005 21:26:14
1 On 10/11/05, Bastian Balthazar Bux <BastianBalthazarBux@×××××××××.it> wrote:
2 > Mark Knecht ha scritto:
3 > > Hi,
4 > > It seems that over the last few months that the 'Updating portage
5 > > cache' part of an emerge sync has gotten very, very low on my
6 > > machines. Has anything changed that should have caused this? Did I
7 > > possibly miss some update step somewhere to make this run faster.
8 > >
9 > > I'd say that this step is now taking at least 10 minutes - maybe 15
10 > > minutes. Good reason not to update too often!
11 > >
12 > > I do think the speed at which emerge gets to this point is a bit
13 > > faster, and certainly I'd expect it to slow down a bit as the library
14 > > grows ever larger. I see no change at all in emerging a package - only
15 > > the sync step.
16 > >
17 > > Thanks in advance for any info.
18 > >
19 > > Cheers,
20 > > Mark
21 > >
22 > maybe this can interest you
23 > "Cache rewrite backport"
24 > http://article.gmane.org/gmane.linux.gentoo.portage.devel/1105
25 > --
26 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
27
28 Interesting, but very new as I see it. Scary.
29
30 thanks,
31 Mark
34 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list