From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SOLVED - Mouse does not work with kernel-3.5.0
Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2012 16:31:54
1 On Saturday 28 Jul 2012 16:59:10 Pandu Poluan wrote:
2 > On Jul 28, 2012 10:29 PM, "Neil Bothwick" <neil@××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 > > On Sat, 28 Jul 2012 13:22:24 +0300, v_2e@×××.net wrote:
4 > > > Hello again!
5 > > >
6 > > > The problem is solved by adding the following kernel config option:
7 > > > CONFIG_HID_GENERIC=M
8 > > >
9 > > > This option was not present in the old configuration files, that is
10 > > >
11 > > > why simple 'make oldconfig' did not do the job.
12 > >
13 > > make oldconfig should pick up new options, that's what it's for. I've
14 > > just upgraded a box from 3.4.4 to 3.5.0 and it prompted for this option,
15 > > defaulting to Y (there's little point in making something that is always
16 > > required a module).
17 >
18 > I myself prefer make menuconfig to make oldconfig, because I can easily see
19 > new options, and also invoke some help text that (tries to) explain what
20 > the option is about. Not to mention an easy-to-read "chain of dependencies"
21 > of an option.
22 >
23 > Rgds,
24
25 Hmm .... but the "H" option in 'make oldconfig' allows you to see the help
26 text before you decide to accept it or not. Of course, the help text itself
27 may require you to obtain a University degree in kernel hacking to decipher it
28 ... but to some extent that's the fun of it all. ;-)
29 --
30 Regards,
31 Mick