From: "Hemmann
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Power supply with no -5v rail?
Date: Wed, 29 Nov 2006 01:44:28
1 On Wednesday 29 November 2006 01:18, Dale wrote:
2 > Hi,
3 >
4 > I just bought a new power supply. This is what I got:
5 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16817159040 I notice
6 > that this thing has no -5 volt rail on it. Is this normal now?
7
8 yes it is. -5V was only used by the isa slots. And without isa, there is no
9 need for -5V. So it was dropped in one of the many ATX standard versions some
10 time ago. If you have a fairly recent mobo without isa slots, you won't
11 need -5V.
14 > I have this in my desktop rig with a Abit NF7 mobo, a AMD 2500+ CPU, 2
15 > - 80GB IDE drives and one CD burner.
16 >
17 > I just want to make sure I'm not going to blow something up here. P/S
18 > runs quiet as a mouse too. Fairly heavy too.
21 worst case, the box won't boot. But there is no risk of blowing up anything
22 (except when the PSU is faulty). You could ask the support of your mobo's
23 vendor if you want to be on the absolut save side.
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list