From: Daniel Pielmeier <daniel.pielmeier@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] portage confusion
Date: Mon, 03 Mar 2008 11:09:04
1 > > Are you using kde-4.0.x or why do you have
4 > kde-3.5.7. Tried to update to kde-4.0.x near the end
5 > of January. This was after almost two years of not
6 > updating anything. This led to a emerge -uD world
7 > which took about a week over my string-and-can modem.
8 > Many, many "failure to build" errors kept me returning
9 > to the list for advice. See ,for instance, "emerge -uD
10 > world: another obstacle" in the archive. It was like
11 > crawling through the desert pursuing a mirage. I was
12 > unmerging here remerging there. Maybe that's when
13 > qca-2.0.0-r2 slipped into my system. I never
14 > completely understood why kde-4 couldn't be emerged. I
15 > ran update-eix and eix-sync. Even now when I do emerge
16 > -u kde it just points to 3.5.8.
19 > > app-crypt/qca-2.0.0-r2
20 > > unmasked? You can add "=app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3
21 > > ~whateverarchyouhave" to
22 > > /etc/portage.keyords and try again "emerge -avuND
23 > > world".
26 > Ok, that worked. Thanks.
27
28 So if you didn't manage to install kde-4.0.x, you should revert your
29 settings in /etc/portage/package.* and/or /etc/make.conf
30
31 For instance you should have app-crypt/qca-2.0.0-r2 in
32 /etc/portage/package.unmask which is not necessary if don't have
33 kde-4. And then you don't need app-crypt/qca-1.0-r3 in
34 /etc/portage/package.keywords either.
35
36 I don't want to be offensive, but I strongly recommend you to do some
37 cleanup! I also recommend to learn how to use portage (man portage,
38 man ebuild, man emerge, and so on), how to manage
39 /etc/package/package.*, revdep-rebuild and what emerge --depclean is
40 doing! Learn how to handle blockers, to unmerge a specific version of
41 a package if it is slotted and not needed anymore, or you will get in
42 such troubles all the time!
43
44 I would also recommend everybody to use udept which in my opinion is
45 far superior to all other portage tools (depclean, eix-test-obsolete
46 equery, and so on), or replaces many of them by one single tool. I use
47 it for cleanup and other stuff, but it has some problems currently
48 with USE_DEFAULTS and SLOT_DEPENDENCIES so it does not work correctly
49 and its output has to be interpreted in the right way. There is also a
50 bug open where an updated ebuild exists which solves other problems
51 the current version has. I hope this problems go away and the
52 maintainer of udept finds the time to work on it again, it would be a
53 great loss if not!
54
55 Btw, it is no problem to install kde-4 in parallel to kde-3! It is
56 just a bit tricky and you should have some experience of how gentoo
57 works. I would also not unmask a kde version which is currently masked
58 and do a world update in parallel when i had not updated my system for
59 about two years. It is expected that many problems occur if doing so
60 because there are enough problems anyway after such a long time not
61 having done update world!
62
63 Portage wants to install kde-3.5.8 because it is now stable, thus
64 normal! Kde-3.5.7 is not in the tree anymore, as far as i know. I am
65 no kde user but i figured this all out by just reading this list and a
66 bit research!
67
68 Update-eix has in most cases nothing to do with upgrade problems. It
69 is just a database listing your portage-tree. The only problem when
70 not doing update-eix is that you may reason the wrong things because
71 the database is out of date and you rely on the output of eix which is
72 wrong!
73
74 Regards,
75