From: John Campbell <jdc.rpv@×××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU socket and picking a heat sink.
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 05:04:54
1 On 12/03/2010 05:38 PM, Dale wrote:
2 > masterprometheus wrote:
3 >
4 > Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit. I did some googling
5 > but it just wasn't making sense to me yet. I found a site later on that
6 > said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
7 > sockets if needed. That helped me figure out some of it.
8 >
9 > Picking another mobo was a good idea. I actually ended up picking this
10 > one:
11 >
12 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
13
14 That's a black-box CPU, not OEM. It includes a heatsink/fan. As far as
15 I known, AMD heatsinks are fine for normal usage. You're not getting a
16 high-end board so I assume you're not trying to tax the hell out of the
17 CPU. You should be fine with that.
18
19 > That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better. I'll
20 > have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
21 > work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
22 > somewhere. I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.
23
24 I have the AMD2+ version of that motherboard and it has a legacy serial
25 header just like it has a legacy floppy connector. You just need to get
26 a cable. Looking at the picture on NewEgg there seems to be a COMMA
27 plug in the upper right corner of the motherboard. You'd need to pull
28 the manual from Gigabyte to be sure.