From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: CPU socket and picking a heat sink.
Date: Sat, 04 Dec 2010 02:14:13
1 masterprometheus wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
5 >> Hi,
6 >>
7 >> Doing some research on building me a new rig. I have ran into sort
8 >>
9 > of a
10 >
11 >> hick up. The socket types are confusing me here. This is the mobo
12 >>
13 > that
14 >
15 >> I *might* be getting.
19 > http://www.msi.com/index.php?func=prodmbspec&maincat_no=1&cat2_no=171&cat3_no=&prod_no=1856
20 >
21 >> If that link don't work, it is a MSI 790XT-G45 mobo.
22 >>
23 >> I do most of my shopping on newegg and was looking for a CPU heat
24 >>
25 > sink
26 >
27 >> to go on that bad boy. The MSI website says AM2+. When I start to
28 >> looking on newegg, there are several sockets that have AM2+ in it.
29 >>
30 > My
31 >
32 >> question is, which is which or will any of them fit?
33 >>
34 >> The CPU I am looking at is a AMD Phenom II X4 940 Black Edition Deneb
35 >> 3.0GHz and it says it is a AM2+ as well. I assume that will fit the
36 >> mobo? ;-) It doesn't come with a cooler tho.
37 >>
38 >> I may end up picking something else for the mobo and CPU but I do
39 >>
40 > want
41 >
42 >> to figure out what the differences are between these socket types and
43 >> what fits what. Explanations are good and links are good too.
44 >> Pictures may even be better. lol
45 >>
46 > Yes all HSF for AM2/AM2+/AM3 should work with your CPU. A good one
47 > (price/performance) would be this one :
48 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835233082
49 >
50 > But may I suggest that you buy another mobo. It's not that cheap and lack
51 > some features :
52 >
53 > 1. It utilizes DDR2. I think you want this to get that OEM AMD CPU but
54 > it's not worth in my opinion. DDR2 modules are generally more expensive
55 > than DDR3 ones and will be more so in future.
56 >
57 > 2. No USB 3 ports. May not be that important but it's available already
58 > in most motherboards.
59 >
60 > 3. No SATA 6.0 Gb/s ports. No big deal in general but might become
61 > important if you buy a high performance solid state disk.
62 >
63 > 4. No e-sata port.
64 >
65 > A few options for you :
66 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157197 (no 6Gb/s
67 > and only 1 USB 3 port but very inexpensive)
68 >
69 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813131660 (no
70 > 6Gb/s, no e-sata, VIA audio codec, but 2 usb 3 ports)
71 >
72 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157192 (VIA
73 > audio codec, only 1 USB 3 port, up to 2 firewire port, 1 e-sata 6Gb/s,
74 > all the features, good price)
75 >
76 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813130269
77 > (everything right and better components, a little expensive of course)
78 >
79 > http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128435 (great
80 > layout, high quality components, lacks e-sata though, but lots of
81 > expansion slots, expensive of course but a great one)
82 >
83 > Good luck
87 Thanks for confirming that the coolers will fit. I did some googling
88 but it just wasn't making sense to me yet. I found a site later on that
89 said most coolers used different "adapters" to work with different
90 sockets if needed. That helped me figure out some of it.
91
92 Picking another mobo was a good idea. I actually ended up picking this one:
93
94 http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819103675
95
96 That is a GIGABYTE GA-770T-USB3 AM3 AMD 770 which is a bit better. I'll
97 have to figure out a way to get my UPS, which uses a serial port, to
98 work but I *think* I still have a serial to USB adapter around here
99 somewhere. I'm going to have to cross that bridge one of these days.
100
101 This mobo is not as new as the Gigabyte you linked to but the one I
102 posted above is in my budget. I actually blew my budget and may end up
103 spending a little more than planed. I forgot the the new way for drives
104 is to use SATA instead of IDE. I had to add a DVD burner that was SATA
105 and also had to get some Artic Silver since I can't find my other tube
106 from years ago.
107
108 I'll take the opportunity to say this again. The new Cooler Master case
109 is HUGE. lol
110
111 Dale
112