From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo for a virtual server in the cloud?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:39:22
1 On 3/18/22 21:16, tastytea wrote:
2 > On 2022-03-18 20:53+0100 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
3 >
4 >> On 3/18/22 20:40, Matthias Hanft wrote:
5 >>> n952162 schrieb:
6 >>>> I rent a low-cost virtual server in the cloud.  The platform
7 >>>> offers me some choices in linux distributions, but I'm wondering
8 >>>> if I can compile gentoo to run on it.  Anybody have experience
9 >>>> doing this?
10 >>> Yes. I have a Remote Console using a Java Applet (via VPN) where I
11 >>> can select an ISO image on my local disk (also for boot). So the
12 >>> Gentoo installation was just as straight forward as at home - no
13 >>> problem.
14 >>>
15 >>> The prerequisite is, of course, that the provider does offer a
16 >>> Remote Console and the ISO option. I was lucky enough :-)
17 >>>
18 >>> -Matt
19 >>>
20 >> You booted the minimal install ISO and went through the steps of
21 >> partitioning the disk, network, etc?
22 >>
23 >> I was thinking that there were special drivers necessary for the
24 >> virtual devices offered by the platform.  Maybe even proprietary....
25 >>
26 >> Maybe I don't understand it correctly.
27 > Most providers just use the virtualization that is built into the Linux
28 > kernel, the same QEMU/KVM that you can setup yourself with libvirt. You
29 > need to select some VIRTIO drivers but that's about the only difference
30 > to a “normal” system. As far as I know sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel{,-bin}
31 > has everything needed built in.
32 >
33 > See also <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU/Linux_guest#Guest>.
36 Good link, thank  you.