From: tastytea <gentoo@××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo for a virtual server in the cloud?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 20:16:25
1 On 2022-03-18 20:53+0100 n952162 <n952162@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > On 3/18/22 20:40, Matthias Hanft wrote:
4 > > n952162 schrieb:
5 > >> I rent a low-cost virtual server in the cloud.  The platform
6 > >> offers me some choices in linux distributions, but I'm wondering
7 > >> if I can compile gentoo to run on it.  Anybody have experience
8 > >> doing this?
9 > > Yes. I have a Remote Console using a Java Applet (via VPN) where I
10 > > can select an ISO image on my local disk (also for boot). So the
11 > > Gentoo installation was just as straight forward as at home - no
12 > > problem.
13 > >
14 > > The prerequisite is, of course, that the provider does offer a
15 > > Remote Console and the ISO option. I was lucky enough :-)
16 > >
17 > > -Matt
20 > You booted the minimal install ISO and went through the steps of
21 > partitioning the disk, network, etc?
22 >
23 > I was thinking that there were special drivers necessary for the
24 > virtual devices offered by the platform.  Maybe even proprietary....
25 >
26 > Maybe I don't understand it correctly.
27
28 Most providers just use the virtualization that is built into the Linux
29 kernel, the same QEMU/KVM that you can setup yourself with libvirt. You
30 need to select some VIRTIO drivers but that's about the only difference
31 to a “normal” system. As far as I know sys-kernel/gentoo-kernel{,-bin}
32 has everything needed built in.
33
34 See also <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/QEMU/Linux_guest#Guest>.