From: n952162 <n952162@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] gentoo for a virtual server in the cloud?
Date: Fri, 18 Mar 2022 19:51:42
1 On 3/18/22 20:40, Matthias Hanft wrote:
2 > n952162 schrieb:
3 >> I rent a low-cost virtual server in the cloud.  The platform offers me
4 >> some choices in linux distributions, but I'm wondering if I can compile
5 >> gentoo to run on it.  Anybody have experience doing this?
6 > Yes. I have a Remote Console using a Java Applet (via VPN) where I can
7 > select an ISO image on my local disk (also for boot). So the Gentoo
8 > installation was just as straight forward as at home - no problem.
9 >
10 > The prerequisite is, of course, that the provider does offer a Remote
11 > Console and the ISO option. I was lucky enough :-)
12 >
13 > -Matt
16 You booted the minimal install ISO and went through the steps of
17 partitioning the disk, network, etc?
18
19 I was thinking that there were special drivers necessary for the virtual
20 devices offered by the platform.  Maybe even proprietary....
21
22 Maybe I don't understand it correctly.