From: Andrew Frink <andrew.frink@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] SATA & USB SCSI drives...
Date: Thu, 13 Jul 2006 19:32:29
1 On 7/13/06, Sieb, Glenn E (Glenn) <sieb@××××××.com> wrote:
2 >
3 > Hi everyone..
4 >
5 > Running 2006.0, 2.6.15-r5 kernel
6 >
7 > 1U box, SATA boot drive (sda), and an attached USB drive (in theory, sdb)
8 > for on-site backup storage.
9 >
10 > Problem is--if the USB drive is plugged into the system when it reboots,
11 > the *USB drive* comes up as sda.
12 >
13 > Somehow I doubt changing /etc/modules.autoload.d/kernel-2.6 is going to
14 > fix this.
15 >
16 > I doubt using udev rules is going to fix this, either--as, frankly, the
17 > system has to be able to boot in order to read them.
18 >
19 > Is there any way of getting the USB drive to *not* mount as sda? Ever? :-\
20 > :-/
21 >
22 > Thanks in advance,
23 > Best,
24 > --Glenn
25 >
26 > --
27 > Glenn E. Sieb, MTS
28 > Bell Laboratories
29 > sieb@××××××.com
30 > +1 732 949 5453
31 > --
32 > gentoo-user@g.o mailing list
35 You could try building USB suport as a module that would autoload during the
36 auto loading modules phase, then you wouldn't have USB support right away
37 and the sata drive should be sda all the time
38
39 Cynyr