From: Uwe Thiem <uwix@××××.na>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] [OT] Finding other machines on the network
Date: Tue, 30 Aug 2005 18:46:22
1 On 30 August 2005 15:51, Andrew Lowe wrote:
2 > Hi all,
3 > I have the situation where I've been loaned an old Sun SPARC box for
4 > some work. It has a static IP somewhere in the 192.168.0.* range, which
5 > my home network also is in. My question is, how can I find out the IP
6 > address of the machine? I've forgotten what it is and it's also headless
7 > with no keyboard. Is there a utilitiy in portage that will try all of
8 > the ip addresses in a range and let me know if something it at the other
9 > end, ie something like automatically pinging all of the addresses in a
10 > range and reporting what addresses responded?
11
12 Can't you remote log in and do "ifconfig"?
13
14 Uwe
17 95% of all programmers rate themselves among the top 5% of all software
18 developers. - Linus Torvalds
19
20 http://www.uwix.iway.na (last updated: 20.06.2004)
21 --