From: Kristian Poul Herkild <kristian@×××××××.dk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Module philosophy: Compile-in or Load
Date: Mon, 12 Jun 2006 06:33:00
1 Anthony E. Caudel wrote:
2 > I was wondering what gentoo-users think and practice about kernel
3 > modules. Do most compile them in the kernel or load them at boot-up.
4 >
5 > Note that I'm _NOT_ talking about those modules that have to be compiled
6 > in such as for your filesystem. This is about the other ones.
7 >
8 > I generally like to load them at boot-up. One reason is that I have
9 > heard that for suspend or hibernate to work, some modules have to be
10 > unloaded.
11 >
12 > On the other hand, compiling them in results in faster boot times.
13 >
14 > So, what do gentoo-users think?
15 >
16 > Tony
17
18 I have 23 modules (loaded), most related to the soundcard, and a few
19 related to nvidia, a few for the webcam. It appears I could unload 4
20 modules but the rest are necessary, and cannot be compiled inside the
21 kernel without breaking functionality of other drivers, or applications.
22
23 -Kristian
24 --
25 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list