From: Alexander Kapshuk <alexander.kapshuk@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] What is the correct way to remove an old gcc-version (emerge --depclean) ?
Date: Thu, 18 Dec 2014 15:51:10
1 On Thu, Dec 18, 2014 at 9:45 AM, <meino.cramer@×××.de> wrote:
2
3 > Hi,
4 >
5 > on my embedded system I currently ran into a problem:
6 >
7 > As adviced after a greater world update I did
8 >
9 > emerge --depclean -vp
10 >
11 > beside other stuff sys-devel/gcc was shown as candidate
12 > for removal. An old version was shown for removal and
13 > a newer one was shown as preserved.
14 >
15 > I checked with eselect, whether the new version was selected
16 > (it was), made a backup and started emerge --depclean -v.
17 >
18 > As soon it has removed gcc, a firework of error brightened
19 > my terminal...beside other things the shell failed while
20 > trying to access libgcc (if I had recognized that correctly...).
21 >
22 > Technically no problem: I stopped that, cleared the sdcard
23 > and installed the backup...but what did I wrong here?
24 >
25 > What is the correct way to handle such things?
26 >
27 > Best regards,
28 > Meino
35 You may want to go over the instructions given in the
36 https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Upgrading_GCC guide, just in case you might
37 have overlooked something, unless you've already done that.