From: Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 22:11:48
1 On Mon, Jan 19, 2015 at 07:00:52PM +0300, Andrew Savchenko wrote
2
3 > 3) Individual interested in getting every bit of performance
4 > possible from own hardware. Frankly this was the reason why I
5 > switched to Gentoo from RH about 8 years ago. I just tired to
6 > rebuild each time a significant part of packages with custom flags
7 > and configure options. Gentoo is much better suited for this task.
8 > And as a result 13 years old hardware is still usable to watch 720p
9 > and most of 1080p videos (without GPU hardware decoding). A
10 > byproduct of such interest is a deep understanding of system
11 > internals, which is a great result on its own.
12
13 Me too <G>. I have have a Dell Dimension 530 with Intel Core2 and 3
14 gigs of RAM that's over 7 years old. I installed the 32-bit option
15 because, at that time, there were a few programs I wanted that did not
16 run in 64-bit mode. When I had done the initial install, the generic
17 i686 code from the install was not capable of rendering even the lowest
18 bandwidth version of NHL Game Centre Live (400 kbps), without
19 stuttering. After "emerge system" and "emerge world", it handles HD
20 Youtube fine, and keeps up with NHL Game Centre "best" mode (4500 kbps).
21 I'm still using that system today. The Dell simply keeps on going.
24 Walter Dnes <waltdnes@××××××××.org>
25 I don't run "desktop environments"; I run useful applications