From: Andrew Savchenko <bircoph@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Get off my lawn?
Date: Mon, 19 Jan 2015 16:01:16
1 On Sat, 17 Jan 2015 21:04:44 -0500 Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > Speak for yourself. :) I did comment on my thoughts in this area in
3 > Donnie's thread. Gentoo (IMHO) tends not to be the best distro for
4 > doing anything in particular. I find that its best feature is that it
5 > is reasonably good at doing just about anything - it is a
6 > jack-of-all-trades.
7
8 I can't agree with you here, though your position have a rationale.
9 I see Gentoo as a Universal Constructor (UC) which may be used to
10 whatever specific needs Linux can be used at all.
11
12 In general UC pros is ability to create setup suitable for every
13 specific need, but cons is maintenance cost to create and update
14 such setup. Also creating and maintaining UC-powered setups rises
15 general professional level of system architect or amdin doing the
16 job.
17
18 So everything comes to how much user needs deviate from what
19 already existing binary distributions provide. If user needs are
20 perfectly satisfied with some binary distro, using Gentoo will only
21 raise maintenance costs. But if users demands something hardly
22 achievable with other (binary) distributions, then this is a good
23 place for Gentoo.
24
25 From my own experience I can point three directions where Gentoo
26 was and is reasonably the best choise for our needs (mine or my
27 colleagues):
28
29 1) HPC. When it comes to scalable tasks and large amount of
30 hardware, even small performance gain results into huge saving of
31 costs. On our first cluster we replaced CentOS by carefully
32 tuned Gentoo and performance gain was about 30-50% depending on
33 scientific application (please note I'm talking about real
34 applications and not about synthetic tests like linpack). With
35 hardware costs about million of dollars, 30% performance gain
36 results in a great saving. Price for that was much longer time for
37 initial setup (many weeks instead of many days), but it was
38 still less then time required to setup hardware itself and all
39 auxiliary engineering systems.
40
41 An interesting observation here is that average software update
42 cost of Gentoo is smaller that one of RH-based systems we used
43 before. While it is easier to update RH-based solution within the
44 same branch, then Gentoo setup, it is a complete nightmare to
45 upgrade from one branch to another, e.g. from RHEL4 to RHEL5. I've
46 gone through such update in the past an it is much worse than remove
47 everything and install from scratch, including all user
48 applications. As for Gentoo, all updates are equal: they bring some
49 build failures, runtime issues and compatibility problems, but to
50 a limited extent, which is handleable easy enough by prepared team.
51
52 2) High security servers. We have some systems dedicated to a very
53 specific needs where security demands are extreme. Hardened Gentoo
54 is the best solution here, since we can strip down such system close
55 to an absolutely possible minimum and protect that minimum by all
56 means (hardened toolchain and flags, PaX, SELinux and so on). Of
57 course, on top of then containers may be use to isolate different
58 daemons and so on...
59
60 3) Individual interested in getting every bit of performance
61 possible from own hardware. Frankly this was the reason why I
62 switched to Gentoo from RH about 8 years ago. I just tired to
63 rebuild each time a significant part of packages with custom flags
64 and configure options. Gentoo is much better suited for this task.
65 And as a result 13 years old hardware is still usable to watch 720p
66 and most of 1080p videos (without GPU hardware decoding). A
67 byproduct of such interest is a deep understanding of system
68 internals, which is a great result on its own.
69
70 Best regards,
71 Andrew Savchenko