From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dial-up while travelling?
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 22:17:22
1 On Sunday 05 July 2009, Dale wrote:
2 > Matt Harrison wrote:
3 > > Grant wrote:
4 > >> I have good equipment and good methods for connecting to the internet
5 > >> via ethernet, wireless, or cell phone while travelling, and I'm also
6 > >> wondering about dial-up. Does it work well on Gentoo? Should a
7 > >> laptop's internal modem work, or would I be better off buying an
8 > >> external one? Has anyone found dial-up to be a useful method of
9 > >> connection while travelling?
10 > >>
11 > >> - Grant
12 > >
13 > > This is going back a few years, I haven't had any experience recently.
14 > > A lot of modems used to be referred to as Softmodems, those that
15 > > depended hugely on the operating system (very often Windows). Those
16 > > modems were a bitch to get working under linux. We used to have to
17 > > make sure we were buying hardware modems. A lot of internal modems
18 > > were Softmodems and were pretty useless for linux.
19 > >
20 > > As I say, this may be totally out of date now, but it's possible you
21 > > won't get an internal modem working under linux. If this is the case,
22 > > you will have to buy a proper hardware one.
23 > >
24 > > Hope this gives a little bit of info.
27 > > ~Matt
28 >
29 > This is very true. Buy a external serial modem, not a USB only one
30 > either. External serial is the only ones I can find that are hardware
31 > based. My modem has a USB port but I use the serial port. If it is
32 > only USB, it could very well be a software modem. Be cautious on that.
33 >
34 > Mine is a Actiontec brand. I did have one to fail but it got hit by
35 > lightening big time. It even blew up the telephone box outside. It
36 > didn't let it get through to my computer tho. Otherwise, I have not had
37 > any problems.
38 >
39 > If you are unsure, send a link to what you find and maybe we can help
40 > make sure it will work.
41
42 Many softmodems today have Linux drivers and work straight out of the box. My
43 laptop has a lucent modem and I have had no problems at all with it. Often
44 use it when out and about, or when I want to run a test from a different IP
45 address than my ADSL connection. The only thing is I have to remember to
46 re-emerge it when I compile a new kernel (module-rebuild).
47 --
48 Regards,
49 Mick