From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dial-up while travelling?
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 17:10:25
1 Matt Harrison wrote:
2 > Grant wrote:
3 >> I have good equipment and good methods for connecting to the internet
4 >> via ethernet, wireless, or cell phone while travelling, and I'm also
5 >> wondering about dial-up. Does it work well on Gentoo? Should a
6 >> laptop's internal modem work, or would I be better off buying an
7 >> external one? Has anyone found dial-up to be a useful method of
8 >> connection while travelling?
9 >>
10 >> - Grant
13 > This is going back a few years, I haven't had any experience recently.
14 > A lot of modems used to be referred to as Softmodems, those that
15 > depended hugely on the operating system (very often Windows). Those
16 > modems were a bitch to get working under linux. We used to have to
17 > make sure we were buying hardware modems. A lot of internal modems
18 > were Softmodems and were pretty useless for linux.
19 >
20 > As I say, this may be totally out of date now, but it's possible you
21 > won't get an internal modem working under linux. If this is the case,
22 > you will have to buy a proper hardware one.
23 >
24 > Hope this gives a little bit of info.
27 > ~Matt
31 This is very true. Buy a external serial modem, not a USB only one
32 either. External serial is the only ones I can find that are hardware
33 based. My modem has a USB port but I use the serial port. If it is
34 only USB, it could very well be a software modem. Be cautious on that.
35
36 Mine is a Actiontec brand. I did have one to fail but it got hit by
37 lightening big time. It even blew up the telephone box outside. It
38 didn't let it get through to my computer tho. Otherwise, I have not had
39 any problems.
40
41 If you are unsure, send a link to what you find and maybe we can help
42 make sure it will work.
43
44 Dale
45