From: Matt Harrison <iwasinnamuknow@×××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Dial-up while travelling?
Date: Sun, 05 Jul 2009 13:45:51
1 Grant wrote:
2 > I have good equipment and good methods for connecting to the internet
3 > via ethernet, wireless, or cell phone while travelling, and I'm also
4 > wondering about dial-up. Does it work well on Gentoo? Should a
5 > laptop's internal modem work, or would I be better off buying an
6 > external one? Has anyone found dial-up to be a useful method of
7 > connection while travelling?
8 >
9 > - Grant
12 This is going back a few years, I haven't had any experience recently. A
13 lot of modems used to be referred to as Softmodems, those that depended
14 hugely on the operating system (very often Windows). Those modems were a
15 bitch to get working under linux. We used to have to make sure we were
16 buying hardware modems. A lot of internal modems were Softmodems and
17 were pretty useless for linux.
18
19 As I say, this may be totally out of date now, but it's possible you
20 won't get an internal modem working under linux. If this is the case,
21 you will have to buy a proper hardware one.
22
23 Hope this gives a little bit of info.
26 ~Matt