From: Michael Mol <mikemol@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:48:40
1 On Dec 18, 2012 6:33 AM, "Marc Joliet" <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
2 >
3 > Am Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:04:46 -0800
4 > schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
5 >
6 > [...]
7 > > > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
8 > > > telepathy and a hots of others.
9 > > >
10 > > > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your hands on
11 > > > seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one I found
12 > > > stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of time, and not
13 > > > DEPEND on java.
14 > > >
15 > > > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
16 > > > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
17 > > > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that the
18 > > > cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it was there,
19 > > > and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so much.
20 > > >
21 > > > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
22 > >
23 > > Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like I
24 would
25 > > be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
26 >
27 > Just out of curiosity: why couldn't you use a Jabber client with
28 > Bonjour/Zeroconf support (all or most of them?) within the company (which
29 is
30 > what this is for IIUC)? With Zeroconf, the Jabber clients "find each
31 other",
32 > then you wouldn't need to bother with setting up a server.
33 >
34 > Or is Zeroconf problematic? I know Pidgin can do Zeroconf on Windows,
35 even if
36 > you need to manually install a separate package for it to work.
37
38 That only works within the same mdns domain, which usually means being on
39 the same Ethernet segment.
42 > --
43 > Marc Joliet
44 > --
45 > "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know
46 we
47 > don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup