From: Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 11:31:48
1 Am Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:04:46 -0800
2 schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
3
4 [...]
5 > > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
6 > > telepathy and a hots of others.
7 > >
8 > > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your hands on
9 > > seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one I found
10 > > stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of time, and not
11 > > DEPEND on java.
12 > >
13 > > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
14 > > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
15 > > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that the
16 > > cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it was there,
17 > > and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so much.
18 > >
19 > > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
20 >
21 > Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like I would
22 > be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
23
24 Just out of curiosity: why couldn't you use a Jabber client with
25 Bonjour/Zeroconf support (all or most of them?) within the company (which is
26 what this is for IIUC)? With Zeroconf, the Jabber clients "find each other",
27 then you wouldn't need to bother with setting up a server.
28
29 Or is Zeroconf problematic? I know Pidgin can do Zeroconf on Windows, even if
30 you need to manually install a separate package for it to work.
33 Marc Joliet
34 --
35 "People who think they know everything really annoy those of us who know we
36 don't" - Bjarne Stroustrup