From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:56:03
1 On Tue, 18 Dec 2012 12:30:16 +0100
2 Marc Joliet <marcec@×××.de> wrote:
3
4 > Am Mon, 17 Dec 2012 18:04:46 -0800
5 > schrieb Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>:
6 >
7 > [...]
8 > > > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
9 > > > telepathy and a hots of others.
10 > > >
11 > > > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your
12 > > > hands on seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one
13 > > > I found stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of
14 > > > time, and not DEPEND on java.
15 > > >
16 > > > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
17 > > > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
18 > > > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that
19 > > > the cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it
20 > > > was there, and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so
21 > > > much.
22 > > >
23 > > > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
24 > >
25 > > Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like
26 > > I would be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
27 >
28 > Just out of curiosity: why couldn't you use a Jabber client with
29 > Bonjour/Zeroconf support (all or most of them?) within the company
30 > (which is what this is for IIUC)? With Zeroconf, the Jabber clients
31 > "find each other", then you wouldn't need to bother with setting up a
32 > server.
33 >
34 > Or is Zeroconf problematic? I know Pidgin can do Zeroconf on Windows,
35 > even if you need to manually install a separate package for it to
36 > work.
39 That doesn't really work when one fellow is at his desk in the office,
40 another at home on an ADSL connection and the third is a 3rd party dev
41 based in Los Angeles. That's quite common for me.
42
43 Zeroconf has it's uses, but it does have a rather narrow scope as to
44 where it can work.
47 Alan McKinnon
48 alan.mckinnon@×××××.com