From: Grant <emailgrant@×××××.com>
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] {OT} open-source: chat, tasks, resources, code
Date: Tue, 18 Dec 2012 02:06:07
1 > > > For chat, run an IRC or XMPP server.
2 > >
3 > > Has anyone used an XMPP client for communication/collaboration within
4 > > a company that they would recommend?
5 >
6 > Surely you meant server there, not client?
7
8 I thought I meant client. Does server functionality vary as far as what
9 shows up on the client end? I imagined the client-facing functionality to
10 be the same amongst the various servers.
11
12 > XMPP clients are a dime a dozen, take you pick: pidgin, kopete,
13 > telepathy and a hots of others.
14 >
15 > Servers are another story. All of them that you can lay your hands on
16 > seem to suck big eggs big time. ejabberd is the only one I found
17 > stable enough to actually stay up for sane amounts of time, and not
18 > DEPEND on java.
19 >
20 > But that info might be well out of date, I haven't looked at our
21 > jabber server for ages. There's no need to - the techies all
22 > gravitated by themselves over to GTalk and Skype, claiming that the
23 > cloud services did everything they needed and more, and it was there,
24 > and it worked. Our in-house jabber server - not so much.
25 >
26 > Can't say I blame them. It's true.
27
28 Thanks Alan, this is just the kind of info I need. It sounds like I would
29 be better off with a cloud solution for collaborative chat.
30
31 - Grant