From: Rumen Yotov <rumen@××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Upgrade of dhcpcd
Date: Mon, 31 Mar 2008 12:52:59
1 On (31/03/08 11:14) econti wrote:
2 > Rumen Yotov ha scritto:
3 >> econti МапОÑ?а:
4 >>> Hi all, yesterday I upgraded dhcpcd, now at boot time I receive this
5 >>> message:
6 >>>
7 >>> err, eth0: Failed to lookup hostname via DNS: Name or service not known
8 >>>
9 >>> Even so, the IP is correctly assigned by the router.
10 >>>
11 >>> Could anyone help me to understand? ;-)
12 >>>
13 >>> Bye
14 >>> emilio
15 >>>
16 >>>
17 >> Hi,
18 >>
19 >> Look at the new USE-flags, there are two IIRC - zeroconf vram
20 >> Specially vram in this case.
21 >> HTH. Rumen
22 >>
23 > I tried USE="-zeroconf": no result
24 > then USE="vram": no result
25 > then USE="-zeroconf vram": no result
26 >
27 > So I dowgraded dhcpcd to the previous version (2.0.5-r1): no more error
28 > message. ;-(
29 >
30 > I'd like to understand.
31 >
32 > Bye
33 > emilio
34 >
35 > --
36 > gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list
37 >
38 Hi,
39
40 Try switching Off both '-zeroconf -vram'.
41 From the dhcpcd-3.2.3 elog:
42 elog> * ZeroConf support enabled
43 elog> * DUID support enabled
44 elog> * You have installed dhcpcd with zeroconf support.
45 elog> * This means that it will always obtain an IP address even if no
46 elog> * DHCP server can be contacted, which will break any existing
47 elog> * failover support you may have configured in your net
48 configuration.
49 elog> * This behaviour can be controlled with the -L flag.
50 elog> * See the dhcpcd man page for more details.
51 elog> * You have installed dhcpcd with DUID support.
52 elog> * This means that we will generate a DUID in
53 /var/lib/dhcpcd/dhcpcd.duid
54 elog> * This is generated from a MAC address of the card and a
55 timestamp.
56 elog> * It will be used in every subsequent DHCP transaction, along
57 with a IAID
58 elog> * in the ClientID option. This is required by RFC 4361.
59 elog> * Some DHCP server implementations require a MAC address only in
60 the
61 elog> * ClientID field. These DHCP servers should be updated to be RFC
62 elog> * conformant. If you cannot do this, you can revert to the old
63 elog> * behaviour by using the -I '' option OR building dhcpcd with the
64 elog> * vram USE flag enabled.
65 ...end...
66 HTH. Rumen