From: Grant Taylor <gtaylor@××××××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 23:28:57
1 On 02/08/2018 04:18 PM, Wol's lists wrote:
2 > EMPHATICALLY YES.
3
4 ;-)
5
6 > /tmp is defined as being volatile - stuff can disappear at any time.
7
8 I don't know that I've ever had things in /tmp disappear "at any time"
9 as in randomly and without external influence. Usually it's a reboot or
10 nightly maintenance scripts cleaning up old (regular) files (as opposed
11 to sockets).
12
13 > /var/tmp is defined as the place where programs store stuff like crash
14 > recovery files. Mounting it tmpfs is going to screw up any programs that
15 > reply on that *defined* behaviour to recover after a crash.
16
17 Yup.
18
19 > Mounting /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs is perfectly fine as far as I know -
20 > I do it myself.
21
22 I expect that portage, and many other programs, will recover from their
23 contents under /var/tmp disappearing in between invocations. But this
24 is something that people need to be aware of.
29 Grant. . . .
30 unix || die

smime.p7s application/pkcs7-signature