From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Thu, 08 Feb 2018 23:18:29
1 On 08/02/18 20:56, Grant Taylor wrote:
2 > On 02/08/2018 10:11 AM, gevisz wrote:
3 >> And I am going to set the whole /var/tmp on tpmfs instead of just
4 >> /var/tmp/portage
5 >>
6 >> Is it ok?
7 >
8 > I don't know about the context of emerging, but I do know about the
9 > context of /var/tmp being volatile.
10 >
11 > More specifically, /var/tmp is traditionally supposed to be non-volatile
12 > (across reboots).
13 >
14 > Comparatively the contents of /tmp can be volatile (across reboots).
15 >
16 > I would advise against mounting /var/tmp on tmpfs.
17 >
18 EMPHATICALLY YES.
19
20 /tmp is defined as being volatile - stuff can disappear at any time.
21
22 /var/tmp is defined as the place where programs store stuff like crash
23 recovery files. Mounting it tmpfs is going to screw up any programs that
24 reply on that *defined* behaviour to recover after a crash.
25
26 Mounting /var/tmp/portage as tmpfs is perfectly fine as far as I know -
27 I do it myself.
28
29 Cheers,
30 Wol