From: Rich Freeman <rich0@g.o>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 00:02:21
1 On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
2 >
3 > /var/tmp is defined as the place where programs store stuff like crash
4 > recovery files. Mounting it tmpfs is going to screw up any programs that
5 > reply on that *defined* behaviour to recover after a crash.
8 Care to cite an example of such a program in the Gentoo repo? I
9 certainly can't think of any, and I've been running with /var/tmp on
10 tmpfs for over a decade.
11
12 /var/cache strikes me as a much better place for some kind of recovery
13 file. While /var/tmp is typically less volatile than /tmp, it isn't
14 really something that software should just rely on.
15
16 Perhaps FHS says otherwise, but anybody relying on FHS is going to get
17 burned because lots of distros purge /var/tmp. The problem with FHS
18 is that nobody really bothers to try to update it any longer.
19 Certainly people think twice before deviating it, but they still do
20 from time to time, usually in the same ways that other distros
21 deviate.
24 Rich