From: Wol's lists <antlists@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] /var/tmp on tmpfs
Date: Fri, 09 Feb 2018 01:15:43
1 On 09/02/18 00:02, Rich Freeman wrote:
2 > On Thu, Feb 8, 2018 at 6:18 PM, Wol's lists<antlists@××××××××××××.uk> wrote:
3 >> /var/tmp is defined as the place where programs store stuff like crash
4 >> recovery files. Mounting it tmpfs is going to screw up any programs that
5 >> reply on that*defined* behaviour to recover after a crash.
6 >>
7 > Care to cite an example of such a program in the Gentoo repo? I
8 > certainly can't think of any, and I've been running with /var/tmp on
9 > tmpfs for over a decade.
10
11 I don't know of any. I was involved with the LSB ages ago, and they were
12 involved with the FHS, and that was just one of the things I picked up -
13 the FHS specifically says /var/tmp is for files that are temporary but
14 not volatile - files that programs are supposed to clean up behind them
15 but are saved if the program is prevented from deleting them.
16
17 Cheers,
18 Wol