From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE4.6 with two monitors does not respect boundaries/edges between them
Date: Wed, 18 May 2011 20:23:35
1 On Wednesday 18 May 2011 19:53:38 Alan McKinnon wrote:
2 > Apparently, though unproven, at 05:50 on Wednesday 18 May 2011, Bill
3 > Longman
4 >
5 > did opine thusly:
6 > > I don't know if this is considered hijacking this thread or not but I
7 > > have a similar issue getting my kde to remember its screen layout. Two
8 > > screens with different resolutions and kde just will NOT remember what I
9 > > tell it to do.
10 > >
11 > > Is there some secret X mojo I have to do to the X configuration files
12 >
13 > Yes. Delete them.
16 > > augment what kde knows about the display geometry? What's more annoying
17 > > is that I have other machines that have no problem. What's the general
18 > > consensus for configuring multiple heads? Just go with xorg.conf? Add
19 > > Monitor sections in xorg.conf.d?
20 >
21 > Do you have an xorg.conf?
22 >
23 > I suspect X has correctly figured out what you have and then you turn
24 > around and tell it something different. Whereupon it believes you.
25
26 Thank you all for your help, Florian's suggestion and Leonardo's confirmation
27 is what worked for me too. Everything is as it was before KDE4.6, except for
28 one thing, the kdm login box shows up on the left hand monitor, and the KDE
29 splash comes up on the right hand monitor after entering the passwd.
30 Previously it was in the middle of the whole virtual desktop and stayed there
31 throughout the KDE startup process. This is more of an observation, rather
32 than a complaint. It seems that the two monitors are separate under KDM and
33 the KDM wallpaper is cloned, but the login box is not. In KDE-4.5.5, during
34 KDM the two monitors behaved as one (xinerama style) and then they split into
35 separate screens after KDE started up.
36 --
37 Regards,
38 Mick