From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Double remote X forwarding?
Date: Sun, 09 Apr 2006 02:21:40
1 Hi all,,
2 This is about doing ssh through a firewall to one machine and then
3 going on from that first machine to a second machine on the remote
4 network. Is there any way to allow me to ssh into this whole string
5 of machines and still be able to pass the output of an X app running
6 on the second machine back to my machine here? The typical error
7 message I get is about being unable to open the display.
10 mark@lightning ~ $ ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l gandalf
11 Password:
12 Last login: Sat Apr 8 18:47:38 2006 from lightning
13 gandalf ~ # ssh -X -Y -C -c blowfish -l root myth13
14 Password:
15 Last login: Sat Apr 8 18:50:03 2006 from gandalf
16 myth13 ~ # xclock
17 Error: Can't open display:
18 myth13 ~ #
19
20 When sshed into the second machine (myth13) I get no value for
21 $display, while for the first machine (gandalf) I ssh into I do:
22
23 myth13 ~ # echo $DISPLAY
24
25 myth13 ~ # exit
26 logout
27 Connection to myth13 closed.
28 gandalf ~ # echo $DISPLAY
29 localhost:10.0
30 gandalf ~ # xclock
31
32 <XCLOCK displays here>
33
34 gandalf ~ #exit
35 logout
36 Connection to gandalf closed.
37 mark@lightning ~ $
38
39 I am able to run X apps on gandalf and display them here, but not
40 myth13. Can I make it work?
41
42 Thanks,
43 Mark