From: Fernando Rodriguez <cyklonite@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] net-misc/asterisk-1.8.28.2
Date: Sat, 04 Feb 2017 14:01:15
1 On Sat, Feb 04, 2017 at 07:12:01AM +0100, Floyd Anderson wrote:
2 > On Fri, 03 Feb 18:34:22 -0700
3 > thelma@×××××××××××.com wrote:
4 > >I have an old version of asterisk-1.8.28.2 (it is no longer in portage).
5 > >I want to keep this version, temporarily (till I have a chance to test a
6 > >new one 11.25.1-ver.
7 >
8 > If you have the asterisk-ebuild (and all related files) still available,
9 > you could try to migrate it to a local overlay [1][2]. Otherwise, tell
10 > Portage you are handle this package yourself by adding it to:
11 > /etc/portage/profile/package.provided
12 >
13 > This file can be used to hold a specific version — even the package is
14 > no longer in tree. But notice, this isn’t the whole truth as mentioned
15 > in [3]. Portage will not update listed packages unless another package
16 > requires a newer version of it.
17
18 I don't think package.provided will help in this case. He needs to
19 rebuild the package to get rid of the old library so he needs the old
20 ebuild and mask newer versions.
21
22 But linking against a new library version can also cause problems so he
23 might as well update it. If you *must* keep this build try adding
24 --exclude='net-misc/asterisk' to the emerge @preserved-rebuild command
25 and the old libraries used by asterisk will be preserved until you get a
26 chance to update it but all other packages will use the new versions.
29 > Give it a try and invoke:
30 > emerge --pretend --verbose net-misc/asterisk
31 > to ensure if it’ll work as expected.
32 >
33 > References:
34 >   [1] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Handbook:AMD64/Portage/CustomTree#Defining_a_custom_repository>
35 >   [2] <https://wiki.gentoo.org/wiki/Overlay/Local_overlay>