From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Firefox and kernel panics.
Date: Mon, 11 Jul 2011 23:13:47
1 walt wrote:
2 > On 07/11/2011 09:42 AM, Alex Schuster wrote:
5 >> Although Neil may have a point when he says that an unclean shutdown could
6 >> have corrupted things. I was under the impression that with a journaling
7 >> file system this should be safe, but I do not know much bout this.
8 >>
9 > I agree with Neil so (if I'm awake enough) I'll force an fsck by doing:
10 >
11 > #touch /forcefsck in the root directory of any filesystem you might
12 > be worried about, and then reboot.
13 >
14 > Do this before resuming any emerge, of course, so you don't screw up
15 > the fs any more than it already is. (BTW I still use only ext3, so I
16 > can't say anything about reiser, ext4, etc.)
21 I think the point of the journal is not to preserve the files but the
22 file system. There is a huge difference. The journal may fix the file
23 system but a corrupt file will still be a corrupt file.
24
25 The only thing worse than loosing a few hours of compiling, resuming a
26 compile only to find out you have to start over anyway.
27
28 Just saying. ;-)
29
30 Dale