From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 10:43:19
1 On Sunday 13 January 2008, James wrote:
2
3 > I turn down most opportunities to be on a BOD
4 > with many organizations, but, I care about Gentoo quite a lot. If Gentoo
5 > is truely in crisis, why have the devs not discuss this with the wider
6 > user community? This simple fact make the whole state of affairs
7 > suspicious to say the least.
8
9 It could just be managerial ineptitude though, combined with emotional
10 immaturity of certain persons (if Alan's previous critique re.treating
11 persons as machines holds true).
12
13 > After reading the aforementioned Blog (by Daniel), I have strong
14 > reservations about Daniels 'vision'.
15 >
16 > First, let him publish his vision, including who he wants to name to the
17 > board of trustees and the governing bylaws (or changes) he is proposing.
18 >
19 > Second if he wants to be the day bay (tribal chief) then he should
20 > have only a vote as to the makeup of the BOD. Allowing him to return
21 > with the sole responsibility to select a BOD, is a recipe for doom,
22 > IMHO. You can describe DOOM as you wish, but, giving carte-blanche
23 > control to him, or anyone, is foolish, at best. Doing so with no
24 > published data, nor restrictive covenants, nor by-laws, nor mission
25 > statement, nor accountability mechanisms.... is unwise, IMHO.
26
27 Hear, hear! You echo my reservations very well, in case they didn't come
28 through clear enough in my previous post.
29
30 > It also sounds to me as though Daniel, is trying to trick or provoke
31 > the trustees into allowing him to decide the future of the distro
32 > without first telling us what that future is to be.
33
34 Exactly. But this may have to do with his (and others) disagreement with
35 Ciaran?
36
37 > But then again
38 > why the trustees have become apathetic and have not sought out
39 > replacement for themselves, is inexcusible if indeed this is the case.
40 > Daniel probably understands the inherent value in an established distro,
41 > such as gentoo, and might just be looking to use it (gentoo) more as a
42 > private fiefdom than an engine for the future benefit of the greater gentoo
43 > community. Dunno.....
44
45 I don't know either, but as you have suggested in your previous message and
46 also propose below there are ways of putting checks and balances in place to
47 ensure that:
48
49 1. Strategic direction is decided by the wider community in a democratic way,
50 while preserving the Gentoo principles (i.e. the majority of *future* users
51 may want a Ubuntu like distro, but that's not what Gentoo is about).
52
53 2. Tactical decisions on what coding should be used, are taken by devs, so
54 that they enable the strategic direction and objectives to be achieved.
55
56 3. An administrative body with responsible and professional individuals is
57 elected to undertake the necessary tasks required to keep Gentoo operating
58 and moving forwards, without putting at risk its e.g. legal status.
59
60 I see the above three as distinctly different areas of endeavour which tend to
61 attract different skillsets and personality profiles. So it makes sense to
62 define them separately, especially as it will offer a focus for succinct
63 deliverables and responsibilities. The boundaries of decision making are
64 clear and if life changing moments arrive the the whole Gentoo community is
65 asked to participate to the decision making.
66
67 > As such here are a few tenants I'd like to see in the article of
68 > incorporation, bylaws, or where ever the focus of Gentoo is publish. Like
69 > wise
70 > you could also view this as my vision of Gentoo's future. Needless to
71 > say, I'm what out in front of those that want gentoo to become something
72 > they use to make a living with, if not reach some measure of significant
73 > financial success.
76 > 1. Keep Gentoo open and free for all to use and exploit to earn a living,
77 > create a business, become an entrepreneur, educate and use as the
78 > individual determines is in the best interest of the individual.
79 >
80 > 2. Keep licensing more in line with the BSD license for Gentoo centric
81 > technology (thus encouraging entrepreneurship as defined by the individual
82 > while simultaneously respecting GPLv2 and maintaining compliance with
83 > GPLv2. GPLv3 is a poor idea, IMHO. GPLv3 can be made easily available
84 > and leave GPLv3 compliance/responsibility up to the individual. In fact
85 > software licensing and compliance should always be up to the
86 > INDIVIDUAL, IMHO.
87 >
88 > Digression
89 > I love conspriracy theories: Here one that makes you think. Greenpeace
90 > receives it's largest contributions from those that what to keep the
91 > energy markets closed to all but the largest corporations.....
92
93 Ha! Is that true!?? Who are the largest contributors?
94
95 > Here's another: GPLv3 is the work of The Son of Satan, who sits
96 > atop a mountain in Redmond......
97 >
98 > /end Digression
101 > 3. Devise a formal sematic to install of all gentoo's instantiations
102 > that is open and flexible so various groups can easily create their
103 > own installation semantics and share their installation semantics
104 > with the wider public communities. (competition is the best
105 > way to solve the current gentoo installation quagmire, methinks.
106 >
107 > 4. Formalize a process where others (non devs) can build, store and
108 > maintain ebuilds that are not blessed by the devs, so individuals
109 > can easily share their work with the larger Gentoo community. If one
110 > choses such and ebuild there on their own. The gentoo devs should
111 > develop a semantic where folks not officially part of the devs can
112 > maintain a package or two, rather than making ebuilds for obsolescence,
113 > unilaterally.
116 > 5. Trustees can be elected to one year terms. If trustees disagree
117 > on the direction of the majority of the other BOD members, they
118 > should be encouraged to aggregate with small bands of devs
119 > and build alternatives (such as Mr. McCreesh's alternative to
120 > portage)...... Forking of Gentoo is a good thing, not a bad thing.
121 > Deal with it. If you do not want forks, then, allow for flexibility.
122 > Be willing to integrate forks back into Gentoo, if feasible
123 > and the majority of users vote for it. Discussions of
124 > all issues should occur on Gentoo-politics or some such group.
125 > Not spread around the groups. Discussion of Gentoo's future
126 > exlusive by the devs reflects very poorly on gentoo and is
127 > ample evidence of exactly what's wrong with Gentoo.
130 > 6. Provide resources to the gentoo-embedded group to assist them
131 > in their efforts to assimilate embedded-gentoo into gentoo
132 > so that lots of ordinary users can build and experiment with
133 > embedded gentoo. Provide resources for a seemless integration
134 > between gentoo-embedded and gentoo workstations and user
135 > to encourage the commercial creations of lots of devices that
136 > small companies can build, sell, support and make a living.
137 >
138 > 7. Provide direction and methodologies so both users and
139 > technical folks, can integrate Gentoo into the normal business
140 > practices in small and mid-size (service oriented) companies.
141 >
142 > 8. Provide wikis for those requisite areas where folks can use
143 > gentoo technologies to incubate, start, build and run business
144 > centric to gentoo, such as legalese, accounting pricipals,
145 > basic marketing, how to build a gentoo E commerce server, etc. etc.
146
147 The above three suggestions are probably the most important in establishing a
148 viable business model for Gentoo, ensuring its growth (on a
149 societal/commercial pull, rather than a technocratic, elitist push basis).
150 If developed enough it has the potential to threaten Redmond in a real way!
151
152 > 9. Provide a clear migration path for novices to wanna-bee to techie to
153 > entrepreneur to persons with a successful financial status to
154 > a state of being self determinant. Mentoring, wikis and advise: a place for
155 > entrepreneurs and techies to meet, hang out (on-line) and
156 > aggregate into startup companies.
157 >
158 > 10. Celebrate the uniqueness that we all have and respect the choices
159 > that the individual uses gentoo for, for what the individual determines
160 > Gentoo should be used for. Loose the attitude that if you use Gentoo
161 > to make money, you are creating some form of evil. Quite the opposite
162 > is true; IMHO.
163
164 I don't think many people believe that using Gentoo to earn a living is evil.
165 I believe the model of open software development is well proven and charging
166 for offering a service is not in contrast to it.
167
168 Let's hope that such proposals are discussed and developed adequately to
169 secure Gentoo's survival and push it in a path of growth. What do we need to
170 do next?
171 --
172 Regards,
173 Mick