From: James <wireless@×××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:13:01
1 Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon <at> gmail.com> writes:
4 > > http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/01/here-my-offer.html
5
6 > I've kept very quiet about Gentoo politics for a long time, but Daniel's
7 > blog has promoted me to finally open my mouth and express my views.
8
9 > Daniel is in a tricky position - he is the legal President of the
10 > Foundation but also has no role in the project in real life.
11
12 This can be corrected quite easily. If one is to believe his
13 posting, (I have no evidence to believe otherwise) that he
14 wants to be removed from gentoo completely, or return and offer
15 a vision for leadership in a autocratic environment...
18 > There is no evidence whatsoever that the Trustees as a group have ever
19 > done a single thing for Gentoo in three years. The fundamental
20 > responsibility of Trustees is to ensure that legal paperwork is
21 > properly filed, they did not even do this. Grant Goodyear is getting
22 > some things done but he's doing it as one person. Chris is in a similar
23 > position. But the Trustees, as a body with specific duties, simply does
24 > not exist in any reasonable definition of Trustees.
25
26 This is not difficult to fix either. Getting the legal issues handled
27 is not difficult, especially if those trustees what to leave. If they
28 are non-performers, they either want to kill gentoo or they do not
29 see viable replacements for trustees, or mediocrity is acceptable
30 to them.
31
32 The bulk of the devs and the community of the users, should decide
33 who is a on the BOD. One person, one vote, with a required registration
34 as to actually who people are. The potential BOD folks could be elected?
35 If the current trustees do not like this then it only takes a core group
36 to create a fork. (It seems to me Daniel has some well concealed plans
37 for Gentoo, and my bet is that he is either going to regain autocratic
38 control or fork).
39
40 As a successful business man (Engineer), with a Lawyer in
41 my family and dozens of lawyers that owe me favors, It its not difficult
42 to solve these leagalise problem, given either a quorum or a motivated group
43 of technical folks. In fact, since I seen the charaterization that gentoo
44 is really just LFS + portage, it would seem that Mr. McCreesh has indeed
45 created his own (gentoo) distro. Also, there are other forks of Gentoo
46 and they do not seem to require legions of devs to maintain a fork.
49 I turn down most opportunities to be on a BOD
50 with many organizations, but, I care about Gentoo quite a lot. If Gentoo
51 is truely in crisis, why have the devs not discuss this with the wider
52 user community? This simple fact make the whole state of affairs
53 suspicious to say the least.
54
55 Potential BOD members should each create a vision document, publish it
56 and let's elect the BOD (trustees). If the current Trustees do not
57 agree with this, then fork the distro and let's all move on. It's not
58 like this has never happened before.
61 After reading the aforementioned Blog (by Daniel), I have strong
62 reservations about Daniels 'vision'.
63
64 First, let him publish his vision, including who he wants to name to the
65 board of trustees and the governing bylaws (or changes) he is proposing.
66
67 Second if he wants to be the day bay (tribal chief) then he should
68 have only a vote as to the makeup of the BOD. Allowing him to return
69 with the sole responsibility to select a BOD, is a recipe for doom,
70 IMHO. You can describe DOOM as you wish, but, giving carte-blanche
71 control to him, or anyone, is foolish, at best. Doing so with no
72 published data, nor restrictive covenants, nor by-laws, nor mission
73 statement, nor accountability mechanisms.... is unwise, IMHO.
76 > I used to read -dev and various council mailing lists a long time ago as
77 > I wanted to keep up to date with these things as a user. I unsubscribed
78 > because I couldn't stand the constant bickering going on there. OSS
79 > projects always have their laundry out in the public eye and some
80 > conflict is always present but Gentoo management manages to take this
81 > to a whole new level - from on outsider's point of view, the bickering
82 > is done for the sake of bickering, and it does not result in decisions
83 > being made or solutions found.
86 I'm not certain that these discussion should be held on the -dev list.
87 After all, if the 'devs' where the managerial geniuses they claim to be
88 (evident by their choice of -dev as the proper place to discuss the future
89 of Gentoo) then we would not be in this mess (YMMV)... Like many readers
90 on this list, I've have noticed some increase in the dysfunctionality
91 of gentoo over the recent months, but, was unaware of an imminent melt down
92 in the distro's 'chain of authority'.
93
94 It also sounds to me as though Daniel, is trying to trick or provoke
95 the trustees into allowing him to decide the future of the distro
96 without first telling us what that future is to be. But then again
97 why the trustees have become apathetic and have not sought out
98 replacement for themselves, is inexcusible if indeed this is the case.
99 Daniel probably understands the inherent value in an established distro,
100 such as gentoo, and might just be looking to use it (gentoo) more as a private
101 fiefdom than an engine for the future benefit of the greater gentoo community.
102 Dunno.....
103
104 As such here are a few tenants I'd like to see in the article of incorporation,
105 bylaws, or where ever the focus of Gentoo is publish. Like wise
106 you could also view this as my vision of Gentoo's future. Needless to
107 say, I'm what out in front of those that want gentoo to become something
108 they use to make a living with, if not reach some measure of significant
109 financial success.
112 1. Keep Gentoo open and free for all to use and exploit to earn a living,
113 create a business, become an entrepreneur, educate and use as the
114 individual determines is in the best interest of the individual.
115
116 2. Keep licensing more in line with the BSD license for Gentoo centric
117 technology (thus encouraging entrepreneurship as defined by the individual
118 while simultaneously respecting GPLv2 and maintaining compliance with
119 GPLv2. GPLv3 is a poor idea, IMHO. GPLv3 can be made easily available
120 and leave GPLv3 compliance/responsibility up to the individual. In fact
121 software licensing and compliance should always be up to the
122 INDIVIDUAL, IMHO.
123
124 Digression
125 I love conspriracy theories: Here one that makes you think. Greenpeace
126 receives it's largest contributions from those that what to keep the
127 energy markets closed to all but the largest corporations.....
128
129 Here's another: GPLv3 is the work of The Son of Satan, who sits
130 atop a mountain in Redmond......
131
132 /end Digression
135 3. Devise a formal sematic to install of all gentoo's instantiations
136 that is open and flexible so various groups can easily create their
137 own installation semantics and share their installation semantics
138 with the wider public communities. (competition is the best
139 way to solve the current gentoo installation quagmire, methinks.
140
141 4. Formalize a process where others (non devs) can build, store and
142 maintain ebuilds that are not blessed by the devs, so individuals
143 can easily share their work with the larger Gentoo community. If one
144 choses such and ebuild there on their own. The gentoo devs should
145 develop a semantic where folks not officially part of the devs can
146 maintain a package or two, rather than making ebuilds for obsolescence,
147 unilaterally.
150 5. Trustees can be elected to one year terms. If trustees disagree
151 on the direction of the majority of the other BOD members, they
152 should be encouraged to aggregate with small bands of devs
153 and build alternatives (such as Mr. McCreesh's alternative to
154 portage)...... Forking of Gentoo is a good thing, not a bad thing.
155 Deal with it. If you do not want forks, then, allow for flexibility.
156 Be willing to integrate forks back into Gentoo, if feasible
157 and the majority of users vote for it. Discussions of
158 all issues should occur on Gentoo-politics or some such group.
159 Not spread around the groups. Discussion of Gentoo's future
160 exlusive by the devs reflects very poorly on gentoo and is
161 ample evidence of exactly what's wrong with Gentoo.
164 6. Provide resources to the gentoo-embedded group to assist them
165 in their efforts to assimilate embedded-gentoo into gentoo
166 so that lots of ordinary users can build and experiment with
167 embedded gentoo. Provide resources for a seemless integration
168 between gentoo-embedded and gentoo workstations and user
169 to encourage the commercial creations of lots of devices that
170 small companies can build, sell, support and make a living.
171
172 7. Provide direction and methodologies so both users and
173 technical folks, can integrate Gentoo into the normal business
174 practices in small and mid-size (service oriented) companies.
175
176 8. Provide wikis for those requisite areas where folks can use
177 gentoo technologies to incubate, start, build and run business
178 centric to gentoo, such as legalese, accounting pricipals,
179 basic marketing, how to build a gentoo E commerce server, etc. etc.
180
181 9. Provide a clear migration path for novices to wanna-bee to techie to
182 entrepreneur to persons with a successful financial status to
183 a state of being self determinant. Mentoring, wikis and advise: a place for
184 entrepreneurs and techies to meet, hang out (on-line) and
185 aggregate into startup companies.
186
187 10. Celebrate the uniqueness that we all have and respect the choices
188 that the individual uses gentoo for, for what the individual determines
189 Gentoo should be used for. Loose the attitude that if you use Gentoo
190 to make money, you are creating some form of evil. Quite the opposite
191 is true; IMHO.
196 James
202 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list