From: Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Sat, 12 Jan 2008 10:37:16
1 On Saturday 12 January 2008, alain.didierjean@××××.fr wrote:
2 > Daniel Robbins offers to take back Gentoo leadership.
3 > What about it ? Read
4 > http://blog.funtoo.org/2008/01/here-my-offer.html
5
6 I've kept very quiet about Gentoo politics for a long time, but Daniel's
7 blog has promoted me to finally open my mouth and express my views.
8
9 Daniel is in a tricky position - he is the legal President of the
10 Foundation but also has no role in the project in real life.
11
12 There is no evidence whatsoever that the Trustees as a group have ever
13 done a single thing for Gentoo in three years. The fundamental
14 responsibility of Trustees is to ensure that legal paperwork is
15 properly filed, they did not even do this. Grant Goodyear is getting
16 some things done but he's doing it as one person. Chris is in a similar
17 position. But the Trustees, as a body with specific duties, simply does
18 not exist in any reasonable definition of Trustees.
19
20 I used to read -dev and various council mailing lists a long time ago as
21 I wanted to keep up to date with these things as a user. I unsubscribed
22 because I couldn't stand the constant bickering going on there. OSS
23 projects always have their laundry out in the public eye and some
24 conflict is always present but Gentoo management manages to take this
25 to a whole new level - from on outsider's point of view, the bickering
26 is done for the sake of bickering, and it does not result in decisions
27 being made or solutions found.
28
29 Ciaran Mcreesh - I am very specifically looking at you here.
30
31 The council - I'm not up to date on that aspect so can't comment.
32
33 When I read about current Gentoo politics I can't help but constantly
34 think of just one word:
35
36 Stampede.
40 Alan McKinnon