From: Thufir <hawat.thufir@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: Daniel Robbins' come back ?
Date: Mon, 14 Jan 2008 10:27:01
1 On Sun, 13 Jan 2008 01:12:09 +0000, James wrote:
4 > 2. Keep licensing more in line with the BSD license for Gentoo centric
5 > technology (thus encouraging entrepreneurship as defined by the
6 > individual while simultaneously respecting GPLv2 and maintaining
7 > compliance with GPLv2. GPLv3 is a poor idea, IMHO. GPLv3 can be made
8 > easily available and leave GPLv3 compliance/responsibility up to the
9 > individual. In fact software licensing and compliance should always be
10 > up to the INDIVIDUAL, IMHO.
13 Absolutely not -- For BSD licensing please use BSD. I see no reason why
14 everything Gentoo related can't be GPL v2 -- after all, the kernel
15 certainly is.
16
17 I wouldn't want to see entrepreneurs take Gentoo, *improve* it, and then
18 not contribute those improvements back to Gentoo itself. That's what the
19 GPL versus BSD is about, to my knowledge.
20
21 That being said, it would be fantastic if the Gentoo Foundation found
22 ways to make money :)
26 -Thufir
29 gentoo-user@l.g.o mailing list