From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...”
Date: Fri, 14 May 2021 23:31:47
In Reply to: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] Re: [gentoo-user] boot hangs forever at “Loading initial ramdisk...” by mad.scientist.at.large@tutanota.com
1 mad.scientist.at.large@××××××××.com wrote:
2 >
3 > Have you recompiled the kernel?  Could be a random, erroneous write to disk or something in the kernel compile didn't go well.  I'd suggest also rebuilding the initrd and reinstalling grub.  I.e. I think there is likely a kernel compile issue since it doesn't ever launch the kernel succesfully either on autopilot or when you run grub interactive.  Might also recompile grub, perhaps there's a change in compiler options that produces an incompatible (at least partially).  I also suggest the rebuild so you can be sure you have the right initrd and matching kernel.
8 I had another thought.  Just in case it is a bug with grub that only
9 affects certain hardware, maybe try a different bootloader?  Maybe try
10 lilo or some other bootloader that works with your hardware.  I seem to
11 recall you having EFI so I'm sure there is plenty of those to choose from.
12
13 Dale
14