From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: Unable to set wireless regulatory domain
Date: Mon, 09 May 2011 23:14:09
1 On Monday 09 May 2011 23:46:06 walt wrote:
2 > On 05/09/2011 09:20 AM, John Nielsen wrote:
3 > > I got it working like I want by:
4 > > 1) Including RFKILL in my kernel config and 2) Building cfg80211,
5 > > mac80211, rfkill, and all parts of the ath9k driver as modules
6 > >
7 > > Just adding RFKILL to a static (module-less) kernel didn't fix it,
8 > > and just building cfg80211 and friends as modules without RFKILL also
9 > > didn't fix it; I had to do both.
10 >
11 > Some drivers contains quite a few distinct subsystems, and I can
12 > imagine a scenario where some section of code is executed only when
13 > it gets loaded by another driver module.
14 >
15 > If my SWAG is correct, then I think a bug report would be appropriate.
16 > Unfortunately I have no idea if I'm guessing right or wrong :)
17 >
18 > As Mick said, the same problem has been reported with alsa drivers,
19 > and I would consider that to be buggy behavior as well and I would
20 > file a bug report if I had the same problem. (But I don't.)
21
22 Funny you should say that ... I remember raising a bug at the time, only to be
23 told by a dev that this is what alsactl expects (i.e. alsa modules to probe in
24 a particular order). I was reluctant to engage in an argument with a dev
25 about the logic of all this, so I left happy knowing that I could hear sound
26 coming out of my machine again.
27 --
28 Regards,
29 Mick