From: Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 04:03:00
1 Dale wrote:
2 > Dale wrote:
3 >>
4 >> Let me add some more confusion. I'm in KDE right now. I took the
5 >> sides off and blew out a VERY little bit of dust and replugged
6 >> things, video card, mobo power cables and such as that. I also
7 >> booted to the newly created .kde directory instead of my old one.
8 >> This is the old install tho. I logged in with nothing running, blank
9 >> session, and then took a nap. I got up a few minutes ago and KDE is
10 >> still running. I opened Kpat, card game, and played a little of it.
11 >> After a few minutes, I opened Seamonkey and am typing as you can
12 >> see. Same kernel, same nvidia, same packages and same hardware.
13 >>
14 >> I did notice something a bit ago but have not posted since I noticed
15 >> it. It seems to crash when I open Konsole as root. I have my menu
16 >> set up to run it as root and that is where I do my sync and updates.
17 >> As soon as the window pops up, my mouse pointer freezes. I thought
18 >> it was a coincidence until now. After I send this reply, I'm going
19 >> to open Konsole and nothing else. I want to see if it does it
20 >> again. Since it has been running this long with Konsole closed, it
21 >> would be odd if it fails when I open that up here shortly.
22 >>
23 >> I have tried to eliminate things one by one. I tried a different
24 >> kernel before I ever posted anything but I'm not sure I mentioned
25 >> it. Doing that is almost like breathing. If I run into issues, I
26 >> try a old kernel first. I have also tried both nvidia drivers that
27 >> are in portage with a few different kernels. As mentioned, I also
28 >> tried a fresh install as well. This makes me question hardware but
29 >> since everything has to work together, who knows where to start.
30 >> Could it be the extra ram that Konsole accesses? Could it be a bad
31 >> instruction that the CPU doesn't like? Could it be the video card
32 >> trying to redraw the screen? Lots of questions with few answers.
33 >>
34 >> Well, I'm going to send this then open Konsole. See if it locks up
35 >> again.
36 >>
37 >> Dale
38 >>
39 >> :-) :-)
42 > I forgot to answer one question you had. Yes, this is my new rig that
43 > was built a while back.
44 >
45 > As I was suspecting, I opened Konsole after sending the last message
46 > and it locked up real good. I did manage to get the SysReq keys to
47 > work tho. I opened Konsole from the menu, the password window popped
48 > up and I typed in my root password. After that, the Konsole window
49 > popped up and as soon as I touched the mouse, lock up.
50 >
51 > After I rebooted and logged in, I wanted to see if it could be a bad
52 > memory issue or even the video card itself. I opened a HD video,
53 > Asteroid Galaxy Tour, and played it back to back. It never missed a
54 > beat. I'm going to avoid Konsole and see what all else I can open
55 > until it fails again. I'll post back what happens.
56 >
57 > Any of you gurus figure out why my system hates to open Konsole as
58 > root? I might add, I used konsole from inside Fluxbox with no problems.
59 >
60 > Dale
61 >
62 > :-) :-)
65 A little more info. After my last message, I opened Firefox. It locked
66 up. That runs as a regular user of course. So, I wanted to test a
67 theory. I logged into Fluxbox after my reboot. I opened Firefox and it
68 locked up. Nothing else was running. My first lock up in Fluxbox!!
69
70 So, Firefox will lock up in BOTH KDE and Fluxbox. What do Konsole in
71 KDE, Fluxbox in both KDE and Fluxbox have in common? Keep in mind,
72 Konsole works fine in Fluxbox.
73
74 I thought of something tho. I upgraded glibc a while back. I had some
75 KDE updates and a Firefox update just a little bit before this
76 happened. Could this be related somehow?
77
78 Also, when Firefox locked up, I went to my old rig and tried to login to
79 this rig. The network connection was dead. So, that time at least, it
80 was a serious lock up. Sometimes the SysReq keys work, sometimes not.
81
82 Thoughts? Anyone think of anything that could cause this?
83
84 Dale
85