From: Mark Knecht <markknecht@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] KDE and HARD lock ups.
Date: Thu, 07 Jul 2011 13:08:59
1 On Wed, Jul 6, 2011 at 9:01 PM, Dale <rdalek1967@×××××.com> wrote:
2 <SNIP>
3 > A little more info.  After my last message, I opened Firefox.  It locked up.
4 >  That runs as a regular user of course.  So, I wanted to test a theory.  I
5 > logged into Fluxbox after my reboot.  I opened Firefox and it locked up.
6 >  Nothing else was running.  My first lock up in Fluxbox!!
7 >
8 > So, Firefox will lock up in BOTH KDE and Fluxbox.  What do Konsole in KDE,
9 > Fluxbox in both KDE and Fluxbox have in common?   Keep in mind, Konsole
10 > works fine in Fluxbox.
11 >
12 > I thought of something tho.  I upgraded glibc a while back.  I had some KDE
13 > updates and a Firefox update just a little bit before this happened.  Could
14 > this be related somehow?
15 >
16 > Also, when Firefox locked up, I went to my old rig and tried to login to
17 > this rig.  The network connection was dead.  So, that time at least, it was
18 > a serious lock up.  Sometimes the SysReq keys work, sometimes not.
19 >
20 > Thoughts?  Anyone think of anything that could cause this?
21 >
22 > Dale
23 >
24 > :-)  :-)
28 You should continue to investigate the glibc thing. There was a thread
29 about how it's causing problems for someone running LibreOffice I
30 think.
31
32 You might also look more at what part of Firefox s causing the lockup.
33 Is it Firefox proper, or is it something caused by your homepage? For
34 instance, if they make use of Flash or Java it could be one of them
35 causing the lockup and not specifically Firefox itself. Can yo erase
36 Firefox preferences so that it opes to a blank page. Does it still
37 lock up. Have you removed all cookies, etc., to see if one of them is
38 causing the problems. Since fluxbox doesn't crash as often you might
39 work there to clean things up and then come back to KDE to see if it
40 has helped.
41
42 Consider an emerge -C on things you don't absolutely need, like Flash
43 or whatever you're using, to figure out what's involved. Also, are you
44 using Firefox 3 or 4? Consider trying the other.
45
46 As with other apps, try running Firefox from a terminal and see if it
47 throws any error messages.
48
49 Good luck,
50 Mark