From: Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.0 and udev
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 00:53:32
1 Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
2 >> I have mine set to no and it is full of stuff. According to Konqueror
3 >> it has 654 files and 13 folders. Is that right? That is a lot of
4 >> stuff.
5 >
6 > I think it is.
7 >
8 > After setting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "no" and removing everything except
9 > /dev/console and /dev/null by using the gentoo live-cd, the number of
10 > my devices decreased to 850 from formerly 5200.
11 >
12 > A note for everybody who uses gensplash and splashutils. After i
13 > deleted the device files and rebooted the silent mode refused to work.
14 > So i decided to reemerge splashutils. But this is not necessary. After
15 > installing, the ebuild checks for missing devices, which was in my
16 > case /dev/tty1.
17 >
18 > Here is the output from emerge which solved my problem!
19 >
20 > It appears that the /dev/tty1 character device doesn't exist on
21 > the root filesystem. This will prevent the silent mode from working
22 > properly. You can fix the problem by doing:
23 >
24 > mount --bind / /lib/splash/tmp
25 > mknod /lib/splash/tmp/dev/tty1 c 4 1
26 > umount /lib/splash/tmp
27 >
28 > I hope this helps to avoid confusion!
29 >
30 > Daniel
31
32 So doing a rm -rf /dev/* would be a bad idea? Can I just move them and
33 then copy them back? Or is what I have normal number wise?
34
35 Full of questions ain't I?
36
37 Dale