From: Richard Fish <bigfish@××××××××××.org>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Gentoo 2006.0 and udev
Date: Sat, 26 Aug 2006 01:17:56
1 On 8/25/06, Dale <teendale@×××××××××××××.com> wrote:
2 > Daniel Pielmeier wrote:
3 > >> I have mine set to no and it is full of stuff. According to Konqueror
4 > >> it has 654 files and 13 folders. Is that right? That is a lot of
5 > >> stuff.
6 > >
7 > > I think it is.
8 > >
9 > > After setting RC_DEVICE_TARBALL to "no" and removing everything except
10 > > /dev/console and /dev/null by using the gentoo live-cd, the number of
11 > > my devices decreased to 850 from formerly 5200.
12 >
13 > So doing a rm -rf /dev/* would be a bad idea? Can I just move them and
14 > then copy them back? Or is what I have normal number wise?
15
16 You apparently missed the part of Daniel's email where he said you
17 have a "normal" number. Several hundred device nodes is normal (850
18 for Daniel, 932 here). The vast majority of which (577) are tty or
19 pty devices that will be on all systems. So yeah, you should be fine.
20
21 -Richard
22 --
23 gentoo-user@g.o mailing list