From: "Boyd Stephen Smith Jr." <bss03@××××××××××.net>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] USB sync/async mount
Date: Mon, 27 Mar 2006 21:35:35
1 On Monday 27 March 2006 17:08, "b.n." <brullonulla@×××××.com> wrote
2 about 'Re: [gentoo-user] USB sync/async mount':
3 > > Now I can mount my mp3 player (gotta get an ogg player).
4 >
5 > Do portable, cheap USB-stick ogg players exist?
6
7 Check out the flash players from iRiver. They play ogg, mp3, and wav, and
8 with the proper firmware are accessible as a USB device. The headphones
9 that come with them are a little bit uncomfortable, but good enough
10 quality that I could tell the difference between ~140k ogg and ~90k ogg.
11 (I always use VBR, so those are average rates.)
12
13 They seem to have discontinued ogg support on their HD based players, so be
14 careful that the flash player you purchase does support ogg.
15
16 Also, files can be deleted and loaded from linux even with the stock
17 firmware.
20 "If there's one thing we've established over the years,
21 it's that the vast majority of our users don't have the slightest
22 clue what's best for them in terms of package stability."
23 -- Gentoo Developer Ciaran McCreesh