From: Mick <michaelkintzios@×××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nepomuk gone, baloo enters
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 13:48:34
1 On Saturday 22 Aug 2015 14:13:46 Peter Humphrey wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 August 2015 12:37:01 Mick wrote:
3 > > There was an e-news item:
4 > >
5 > > 2015-08-11-nepomuk-removal
6 >
7 > Oo-er. Eselect news list here shows all news items as having been removed.
8 > I haven't seen that before - I'd better look into it. I did notice a batch
9 > of news files going by during a recent sync though, so perhaps this is
10 > another symptom of the gentoo sync mechanism.
11
12 This is what it contains:
13 ========================
14 2015-08-11-nepomuk-removal
15 Title Nepomuk removal
16 Author Johannes Huber <johu@g.o>
17 Posted 2015-08-11
18 Revision 1
19
20 With KDE SC 4.13.0 release the default semantic desktop search engine
21 switched from Nepomuk to Baloo.[1] This change was honoured in Gentoo
22 by changing the semantic-desktop use flag to cover the new engine and
23 moving the old to nepomuk use flag.
24
25 The underlaying storage backend for Nepomuk aka Virtuoso DB has a lot
26 of unsolved upstream issues[2], therefore we will remove it. This means
27 packages with build options on the old stack will drop them. Other
28 packages which hard requiring it will be removed.
29
30 If you are still using Nepomuk you can switch to Baloo by globally
31 enable semantic-desktop and disabling nepomuk use flag in
32 /etc/portage/make.conf or using one of the kde desktop profiles.
33
34 [1] https://www.kde.org/announcements/4.13/
35 [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=virtuoso
36
37 ========================
40 > > Therefore, I think that the nepomuk USE flag is no longer valid, although
41 > > semantic-desktop is still being used. KDEPIM needs the semantic-desktop
42 > > USE flag, or it won't work fully.
43 >
44 > As long as you only want the KMail component of KDEPim you can get away
45 > without semantic-desktop. So far. :-)
46
47 I think that migration of data will fail, address book searches won't work,
48 etc. I haven't looked into it at any depth TBH, but enabled USE="nepomuk
49 semantic-desktop" as it was back then for this reason.
52 Regards,
53 Mick