From: Peter Humphrey <peter@××××××××××××.uk>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] nepomuk gone, baloo enters
Date: Sat, 22 Aug 2015 18:10:46
1 On Saturday 22 August 2015 14:48:18 Mick wrote:
2 > On Saturday 22 Aug 2015 14:13:46 Peter Humphrey wrote:
3 > > On Saturday 22 August 2015 12:37:01 Mick wrote:
4 > > > There was an e-news item:
5 > > >
6 > > > 2015-08-11-nepomuk-removal
7 > >
8 > > Oo-er. Eselect news list here shows all news items as having been removed.
9 > > I haven't seen that before - I'd better look into it. I did notice a batch
10 > > of news files going by during a recent sync though, so perhaps this is
11 > > another symptom of the gentoo sync mechanism.
12 >
13 > This is what it contains:
14 > ========================
15 > 2015-08-11-nepomuk-removal
16 > Title Nepomuk removal
17 > Author Johannes Huber <johu@g.o>
18 > Posted 2015-08-11
19 > Revision 1
20 >
21 > With KDE SC 4.13.0 release the default semantic desktop search engine
22 > switched from Nepomuk to Baloo.[1] This change was honoured in Gentoo
23 > by changing the semantic-desktop use flag to cover the new engine and
24 > moving the old to nepomuk use flag.
25 >
26 > The underlaying storage backend for Nepomuk aka Virtuoso DB has a lot
27 > of unsolved upstream issues[2], therefore we will remove it. This means
28 > packages with build options on the old stack will drop them. Other
29 > packages which hard requiring it will be removed.
30 >
31 > If you are still using Nepomuk you can switch to Baloo by globally
32 > enable semantic-desktop and disabling nepomuk use flag in
33 > /etc/portage/make.conf or using one of the kde desktop profiles.
34 >
35 > [1] https://www.kde.org/announcements/4.13/
36 > [2] https://bugs.gentoo.org/buglist.cgi?quicksearch=virtuoso
37 >
38 > ========================
39 >
40 > > > Therefore, I think that the nepomuk USE flag is no longer valid,
41 > > > although
42 > > > semantic-desktop is still being used. KDEPIM needs the semantic-desktop
43 > > > USE flag, or it won't work fully.
44 > >
45 > > As long as you only want the KMail component of KDEPim you can get away
46 > > without semantic-desktop. So far. :-)
47 >
48 > I think that migration of data will fail, address book searches won't work,
49 > etc. I haven't looked into it at any depth TBH, but enabled USE="nepomuk
50 > semantic-desktop" as it was back then for this reason.
51
52 All right, thanks. Also for the copy of the news item.
55 Rgds
56 Peter