From: Volker Armin Hemmann <volkerarmin@××××××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] separate / and /usr to require initramfs 2013-11-01
Date: Sat, 28 Sep 2013 18:11:28
1 Am 28.09.2013 16:04, schrieb Alan McKinnon:
2 > On 28/09/2013 13:32, Tanstaafl wrote:
3 >> On 2013-09-27 7:10 PM, Alan McKinnon <alan.mckinnon@×××××.com> wrote:
4 >>> No really,*why exactly*?
5 >> Because that was the RECOMMENDED WAY IN THE GENTOO HANDBOOK when I first
6 >> set this system up many years ago.
7 > This was something almost all of us recommended way back then. Lord only
8 > knows why we recommeded that.
9
10 I never knew. Something about 'saver as..' or something stupid.
11
12 > Maybe it was small drives (which didn't
13 > have), maybe it was different mount options (which I never did and never
14 > saw anyone else do either), or maybe it was for thin clients (which I
15 > only ever saw in use once - Shuttleworth labs in University of Cape Town).
16 >
17 > So why did we all (and I included myself) recommend this so much? Dude,
18 > I have no idea, but I *think* we were cargo-culting more than any other
19 > single factor.
22 >> I have no philosophical reason reason to stick with it, only a (maybe
23 >> irrational) fear of breaking things if I attempt to merge it back into /.
24 >>
25 >> This, combined with an intense (also maybe irrational) desire to avoid
26 >> like the plague using an initramfs, is why this decision to FORCE me
27 >> into a position of possibly having to break my system (either by a filed
28 >> attempt at merging /usr into /, or a failed attampt at using an initramfs).
29 > No-one is forcing you to do anything, the news item did not say that.
30 >
31 > It says that if you do it, the devs will not support you and you are on
32 > your own. It also says that in the dev's opinion, the day when you can
33 > no longer support it either is probably not too far away
34 >
35 >> I too sincerely hope eudev bypasses this issue.
36 > This has nothing to do with eudev, not with udev
37 >
38 >> The main thing about this that pisses me off is the lack of enough
39 >> warning... one month? Really? One month to compleyelt rebuild a seerver
40 >> that has been running flawlessly for many years, just because someone
41 >> doesn't like something that has been done for many years?
42 >
43 > First, it is not one month, it is much longer. We've all been whinging
44 > about the issue for most of this year. Two, why do you think you need to
45 > rebuild the entire machine? You don't need to do that just to merge two
46 > filesystems.
47 >
48 > To merge two filesystems, you just merge two filesystems. You don't
49 > rebuild anything. You might have some downtime though
50
51 one reboot. You cp everything into /newuser. On shutdown you unmount
52 /usr, mv newuser usr, sync, unmount, reboot.
53 if you want to do it 'old fashioned', you cp everything to /newuser,
54 reboot with systemrescuecd, mount / on /mnt/gentoo, my newuser to usr
55 and reboot. Oh, and change fstab.
56
57 Simple and boring.