From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub error I've never seen in many installs
Date: Fri, 14 Jul 2017 14:56:49
1 Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de> writes:
2
3 >> Has something changed regarding using that kind of technique?
4 >>
5 >> I can't figure out why grub would be looking for a GRUB drive on
6 >> /dev/sda1 as the error says:
7 >>
8 >> grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1
11 > Did you mount /boot from inside the chroot environment? IIRC I got a
12 > similar failure when mounting /boot from outside the chroot...
13
14 Egad, that is almost certainly what is going on.
15
16 However, before seeing your post I came up with what I thought might
17 be a way to get around the whole problem presented in the errors.
18
19 I preserved my install on the initial disk created in vbox for the
20 install.
21
22 Shutdown the vbox vm, created a set of new disks but this time using
23 whole disks rather than carving up partitions.
24
25 So instead of 1 disk carved up... I now had 4 disks in the same sizes
26 as the original partitions.
27
28 Booted the install media.. copied the installed OS over to the new
29 disks. But this time I was asking grub to intall itself on a disk
30 with a single whole disk partition.
31
32 It all worked, ... but I think now, after your comment, I probably
33 mounted boot in the proscribed way this time around. That is, from
34 inside a chrooted terminal.
35
36 Probably didn't need all the disk switching and copying at all.
37
38 Thanks for your input...
39
40 I'll know not to think I remember all about how to do this and pay
41 more attention to the install instructions. Even though I have done
42 this quite a few times... its usually been separated by along enough
43 time period that I might will have forgotten some of the necessary
44 steps.
45
46 Thanks again for taking time to post your thoughts.