From: Hinnerk van Bruinehsen <h.v.bruinehsen@×××××××××.de>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: Re: [gentoo-user] Re: grub error I've never seen in many installs
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 22:33:41
1 On Wed, Jul 12, 2017 at 05:57:58PM -0400, Harry Putnam wrote:
2 > Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> writes:
3 >
4 > > On 10 July 2017 at 22:06, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
5 > >
6 > >> grub-install /dev/sda Installing for i386-pc platform.
7 > >> grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check
8 > >> your device.map.
9 > >>
10 > >> Where might I find `device.map'... it isn't part of grub2. At least
11 > >> grep doesn't find it with `qlist grub'
12 > >>
13 > >
14 > > As far as I understand it, grub2 will dynamically create the device.map
15 > > when it needs it, so it doesn't actually exist as a file. On my grub legacy
16 > > system it is installed as /boot/grub/device.map, with the only contents
17 > > being "(hd0) /dev/sda".
18 > >
19 > > How you would feed grub this information *before* it is installed I'm not
20 > > sure, but maybe look into the USE=device-mapper flag, maybe it installs the
21 > > grub-mkdevicemap executable.
22 >
23 > Yeah, I tried that before posting.. setting USE=device-mapper then
24 > reinstalled grub2... same result as without the flag. Same error
25 > message.
26 >
27 > I've always .. on many installs (over time) and mostly into a vbox vm,
28 > created a disk, then when booting the install media I carve it up with
29 > fdisk.
30 > /dev/sda1=boot
31 > /dev/sda2=swap
32 > /dev/sda3=home
33 > /dev/sda4=/
34 >
35 > Has something changed regarding using that kind of technique?
36 >
37 > I can't figure out why grub would be looking for a GRUB drive on
38 > /dev/sda1 as the error says:
39 >
40 > grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1
43 Did you mount /boot from inside the chroot environment? IIRC I got a
44 similar failure when mounting /boot from outside the chroot...