From: Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com>
To: gentoo-user@l.g.o
Subject: [gentoo-user] Re: grub error I've never seen in many installs
Date: Wed, 12 Jul 2017 21:58:16
1 Arve Barsnes <arve.barsnes@×××××.com> writes:
2
3 > On 10 July 2017 at 22:06, Harry Putnam <reader@×××××××.com> wrote:
4 >
5 >> grub-install /dev/sda Installing for i386-pc platform.
6 >> grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1. Check
7 >> your device.map.
8 >>
9 >> Where might I find `device.map'... it isn't part of grub2. At least
10 >> grep doesn't find it with `qlist grub'
13 > As far as I understand it, grub2 will dynamically create the device.map
14 > when it needs it, so it doesn't actually exist as a file. On my grub legacy
15 > system it is installed as /boot/grub/device.map, with the only contents
16 > being "(hd0) /dev/sda".
17 >
18 > How you would feed grub this information *before* it is installed I'm not
19 > sure, but maybe look into the USE=device-mapper flag, maybe it installs the
20 > grub-mkdevicemap executable.
21
22 Yeah, I tried that before posting.. setting USE=device-mapper then
23 reinstalled grub2... same result as without the flag. Same error
24 message.
25
26 I've always .. on many installs (over time) and mostly into a vbox vm,
27 created a disk, then when booting the install media I carve it up with
28 fdisk.
29 /dev/sda1=boot
30 /dev/sda2=swap
31 /dev/sda3=home
32 /dev/sda4=/
33
34 Has something changed regarding using that kind of technique?
35
36 I can't figure out why grub would be looking for a GRUB drive on
37 /dev/sda1 as the error says:
38
39 grub-install: error: cannot find a GRUB drive for /dev/sda1